Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Arrival

I've been given the honor of being named the "field operations manager" of a health clinic in a remote village in the mountains of Eastern Uganda. The organization is called the Foundation for the International Medical Relief of Children, or FIMRC.

After 38 hours of travel, I arrived in Uganda to a warm welcome from both my predecessor at FIMRC (David) and my "Ugandan mother" from my 2006 trip, Margaret. We stayed the first night in Kampala (the capital) and I had what will be my last hot shower for some time. Kampala is a lot like I remember it, but it seems more streets have been paved, and there are definitely more traffic lights (there were only two last time, and I never saw either of them working). Overall, it felt great to be back and I'm glad to already be familiar with the country to some extent.

The next day, we arrived in the village of Bumwalukani, my new home, just before the afternoon rains came. The village is set in the foothills of Mt Elgon, which is a national park straddling the Uganda-Kenya border. Though economically depressed and lacking many conveniences, it's stunningly beautiful and the people are incredibly kind and welcoming. I mean seriously welcoming. I can't tell you how many people have told me that I'm "most welcome" to be here. I saw the health clinic and met some co-workers immediately upon arrival. By the way, David (my predecessor) saw to it that internet be established in the village, hence my ability to blog and to generally be connected to the world. I understand the Sox forced a game 7 and are playing tonight. Thank you, David and go Sox!

2 comments:

JV said...

Yay! I still can't believe you are living in Africa! That is nice to know taht they are all so nice and welcoming and that it is such a pretty place. I can't wait to see more pictures.
What is Jennipher like? How was the car ride from Kampala to Bumwalukani?

Jamie said...

Yay Mikey! I'm so happy to hear your trip went smoothly. and this blog is super keen! Nice job!