Sunday, February 22, 2009
Avocados and Mangoes…..
Avocados and Mangoes….. Fried flat bread (chapatti) and deep fried dough balls (mandahzi)… Rice. Potatoes. Potato fries. Cassava root. Cassava fries. Carbs. There are tons of fruits and veggies (pineapple, aforementioned mangoes and avos, cabbage, “greens” (can be bitter or sweet), papaya, passion fruits, bananas, tomatoes, onions….) but the locals LOVE the friggin’ carbs! Chapatti, rice, milled corn…. and especially matoke (mashed, flavor-deficient plantains)… those are the staples and you’ll find that four courses at a nine-course meal will be carbs. They’re good. They’re tasty. They fill my belly and I smile. Then I get tired. Then I crave something sweet. I’m just sayin’ it’s a lot of carbs! I’m not on the Atkins and never have been, but damn! I’ve literally been served FIVE carbs in ONE meal… (or “starches” as Mom used to say – and she always had ONE starch at each meal)....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh Jeff HATES the 'one starch' rule! But it's too much to have two in one dinner. The avocados and mangos sound delicious though. Tell them that that's another thing that the yuppies will pay lots of $ for over here!
Post a Comment