Friday, November 7, 2008

My Election Night

I partied it up with some teachers from Arlington Academy of Hope (the school). After hearing that they had a sattelite, I expected at LEAST a 19" tv, but alas... it was more like 10". I got used to it pretty quick, and was happy to be watching my first tv since I got here. Leading up to the party, Godfrey (one of the hosts) was talking about sausage, chicken and the like.... I was making promises about bringing a case of "Senator" beer aka Obama (soon to be named "President" beer, I'm sure). As I was dreding carrying a crate of beer up the slippery, muddy hill to Godfrey and Andrew's house, I quicly realized that I wouldn't have to worry about it, as Senators were sold out in Kiholo (the village trading center) and they only had 7 Eagle Beers in the whole trading center. I bought them out and bought out the sugar cane liquor that they had, too (10 small pouches). I called Andrew, the school's treasurer, and apparently he sent a 6th grader down to "make things happen". I saw the kid coming down the hill with a backpack and money while I was on my way up, and he told me that "Andrew sent me to find beer". The kid came back without beer, but with the promise that it was 0n it's way. Sure enough, an hour later, a motorcycle drove up to the house with a crate of Senators!! Oh happy election day!

After washing down my sausage, chicken, rice, chipati bread, potatoes, and many other starches (maybe even a vegetable in there) with SENATOR beer, it was about 11pm. I fell asleep for a few hours, and was ready to go for the rest of the night... the results starting pouring in aroud 3-4am, and by 5am, we were fired up, Godfrey had his shirt off, and the party really started.... We kept it going until Barack's emotional victory speech just around sunrise. By then, I looked over and the health clinic staff was there, early for work, watching along with us. They were impressed that I managed to work the next day until 2pm. Not my most coherent day of work, but I got some things accomplished. I even test drove a bike and got damn muddy doing it. Luckily, my booze and mud soaked ass got overlooked thanks to everybody's excitement. WHAT A NIGHT!

4 comments:

JV said...

That sounds like a really fun night, much more fun than mine. You'll never forget this election! I love that a 6th grader was sent to do the beer run. And that he was successful. That kid could make a fortune here doing beer runs.

Chris said...

I enjoyed you call @ 11:05 pm Tues doing your happy song and dance! You are a crazy man!

Mike Silvestrini said...

where's the supplementary picture... I'm having trouble visualizing this one ;)

Dad said...

Happy Thanksgiving! We are at the end of our Thanksgiving day. Kevin and Megan are here and we are looking at you on a map. You haven't told us yet what the daily temperatures have been there. Love your site. How did the turkey be-heading party go?