I just attended "World Food Day" in our Sub-County's headquarters, about a 5-10 minute motorcycle ride away. It was a big open area surrounded by vegetable stalls with a tent in the middle to protect some guests from rain. People came and showed off their cows (and tried to sell them) and there were a couple of BIG ol' bulls. A couple of goats or rams or something started going at it ramming their heads (which is why I think they could have been rams), so that was exciting. Other than that, a lot of kids dancing, and a lot of people there. I'd say 600-1,000 people, though my companion at the event, Mangowe Masawi Wilson, our outreach coordinator and mayor of Bumwalukani, guessed 2,000.
Our drama group performed to this huge crowd. I was impressed by the way they held their own in front of a large crowd. Our health center houses a community health drama group who creates and performs small plays about public health issues. Then there were some speeches and such, and then Wilson and I split. It was a good day, overall. A good experience to be certain (though my camera is broken) and I might have made some good contacts at a government run bank that seems to encourage renewable energy projects (Biogas?) and the Community Development Officer of the district. I MAY have arranged to get a copy of the video taken, so if that's the case it will be on youtube once I get it and get a decent internet connection for long enought to upload it. All for today.....
1 comment:
You are doing great! I like the biogass idea. If we have school tomorrow (closed today because natives are the most restless they have been since the local elections), I teach how fuel is made from biomass to my science classes. And don't 5th graders just love finding our bacteria fart methane gas! Take very good care of yourself and keep your attitude as high as it has been. Lots of auntie hugs to you! [I can't get this blog to accept me - have to keep typing in the mystery word - sometimes XX isn't the new XX!
Post a Comment