Monday, November 3, 2008

Shout Barack... Obama.... Barack.... Obama.....

People are psyched about Barack. His Grandmother's village is 80 miles from my village (as the crow flies... by road, it's probably twice that).

There's a song by "Cocoa Tea" called, you guessed it... "Barack Obama" that was being cranked by one of AAH's teachers, Teacher Godfrey, on Saturday afternoon as he was sitting on his porch drinking a Kenyan beer called Senator named after, you guessed it, Senator Obama. People just order "Obama". Godfrey has a sattelite TV (one of two TVs in town that I know of) and he agreed to an all nighter Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. Other Ugandans are also coming - they're psyched.

In Mbale, the city, people see a white guy walking down the street (me), ask where I'm from, and within seconds, we're high fiving, or hugging or jumping up and down, laughing in excitement about Barack.

I'm sure that no Presidential candidate in history has had this kind of international support... I don't want to offend any of my blog readers, but I'm psyched about Barack Hussein Obama... and I'm not the only one.

12 comments:

EmStam said...

oh my god, that picture is awesome. they have their lips pursed in the exact same way...crazy.

JV said...

That's really cool, I didn't know his grandmother was Ugandan!

Mike Silvestrini said...

Actually, his grandmother is Kenyan, but Mikey is right on the border.
"weda you come from Not Dakota... or you from da Texas... the change the americans need... we shoutin "BARACK OBAMA... oi...oi..")

JV said...

woo hoo!
Did you see the acceptance speech? I couldn't stay up that late, but I hope to catch it on Youtube. I heard that it was awesome!

Unknown said...

thank goodness for Obama winning. The victory speech is also posted on the New York Times: http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/president/speeches/obama-victory-speech.html#

Katie said...

They showed people dancing in Kenya last night on MSNBC after Barack's speech. It's so great to see people celebrating all over the world!! Thanks for the posts, Mangano!

Katie said...

One love - http://www.hulu.com/watch/42583/nbc-today-show-the-world-reacts-to-obama%E2%80%99s-win

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Can't get link to work, but NBC today show had a great video of reactions around the world. What a happy day!

Mike Silvestrini said...

You go America...

Mike Silvestrini said...

Mikey.... I need more journal entries bro... keep that shit coming (with pictures please)

Unknown said...

I heard this song while surveying two farmers in the middle of nowhere in Southern Kenya. It was playing on an old beat-up radio and I actually stopped in the middle of asking a survey question and said, "Is that a Barack Obama reggae song?"

I haven't heard it since--thanks for posting the name of the artist!