Woke up, walked with my new brother Desi to the bullfights, in which all of the most proud bull owners in the surrounding sub-counties bring their testosterone-filled animals to butt heads with their peers. They seemingly just pick fights at random in a big field, though there was apparently some organization that I wasn't aware of. Lots of people running and screaming as the bulls took some wild charges in the general direction of the crowds. Good start to the day....
Then a two-hour hike in which I got caught in the rain. Desi told me there was a nice view up a particular "road" so I headed up with the dogs. It was nice and I could see a rain cloud rolling in, but it took me a while to be satisfied. Once I finally found the view I was looking for, I sat under a tree for a little while and it started to rain pretty bad, though I could see it wasn't going to last long. I did the local thing and tore a big-ass banana leaf off of a tree for an umbrella and sat under the tree. The dogs cozied up behind me and we waited it out before heading back. Then we left. With these hills, it didn't take long to slip and fall on my ass. About thirty seconds to be exact. Later on the way home, I passed a truck that was idling in the "road" doing "road" work. Then I realized Jerry was missing. He was scared out of his mind of that truck and was having NO PART of it. I literally had to walk back 100 yards, pick him up, and carry him to the truck. Then I put him down in front of it. He wasn't having it, but I forced him to walk by himself.
Lunch, playing with some of the families' kids, hanging out with mom (Elizabeth, or "mayi") and dad (David, "mzee")another walk, some beers, etc...
2 comments:
Hey Mike- I'm so glad to have you back in the writing mode. How about a picture of those dogs?? Going to Maine next week, jealous?
Cynthia
reminds me of the time we got caught in the torrential rain in the rain forest of St Kitts, Nevis. climbed a volcano as part of an excursion on a cruise we took, I called it our 7-yr honeymoon. point being, now I know why they call it a rain forest. our trail was like a waterfall on the way down.
and suddenly, we were seeing lots of these black prickly plants that our guides had warned us about, and that we didn't see much of on our way up. Scott (re-living the marine that he used to be) ran way back up the trail we were headed down, and found the last of our group heading in a different (read: the correct) direction. All I can say is thank GOD he did, because we could have very well found ourselves stranded in the rain forest at St Kitts while our cruise ship headed off as scheduled.
how fun it is forging stories we will tell forever. :)
Post a Comment